Building/Public Works Permit Application Procedure
All permits require a permit application to be filled out, which includes a description of the project and a list of contractors that will be working on the project.
- All contractors listed must be registered and/or licensed with the City of Darien.
- Most permits require you to bring in your plat of survey. You will be requested to have your structure – such as a deck, shed, pool, etc... drawn to scale on a copy of your plat of survey.
- Many permits require architect stamped plans along with the permit application, including: All new residential and commercial buildings, additions, alterations, sunrooms, etc…
- Simple permits, such as: fence, roof, electrical service upgrade, driveway replacement, etc… can usually be issued immediately. *Please note: if your property is located in flood plain the permit process will take considerably longer.
- All other permits are required to go thru a zoning and/or plan review process. This process takes approximately two to four weeks from time you submit your application. *Please note: if your property is located in flood plain the permit process will take considerably longer.
- The permit fee schedule can be found on our website.
- Permit and plan review fees are not collected until the permit process is complete and the permit is issued. Fees may be paid by cash or check only.
- Most permits require inspections to take place. You will be given a sheet of required inspections when the permit is issued. All inspections must be scheduled by 2:00pm the day before you require the inspection.
For more detailed instructions, please see the Building Permit Information Packet.
You may contact the Community Development Department at 630-353-8115 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
for question concerning the application process.