How to apply
This is a 25 hour per week position with no additional benefits. Starting pay is $15.91 per hour. Top Pay Range for this position is $21.47. Uniforms and equipment are provided.
The candidate has to be able to work Monday – Friday 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (excludes holidays). Schedule may vary during training and special City events.
The part-time Community Service Officer (CSO) is a non-sworn employee, responsible for:
• Providing general support for the police department and service to residents through community policing.
• Enforcing the ordinances of the City, including parking, animal complaints and other City codes.
• Assisting with animal control including capturing and transporting them.
• Providing general assistance to citizens and the community.
• The CSO also fulfills the many and varied requests from administration, detectives and office personnel for business-related errands outside of the police facility.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities Required
The CSO must have or attain the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of the geography and the location of important areas within the City.
• Knowledge of basic procedures and work methods required to perform the full range of assigned duties; including departmental operating procedures, policies, and techniques for dealing with the public in a tactful, but firm manner.
• Knowledge of and ability to interpret pertinent laws, ordinances, rules and regulations pertaining to assigned areas of responsibility.
• Ability to read and write in order to issue citations and prepare reports at a level normally acquired through completion of high school. Ability to observe situations and then analytically and objectively report them clearly and completely.
• Ability to communicate and maintain an effective working relationship with both the public and fellow employees.
• Ability to work independently according to priorities and time frames.
Requqired Education and Experience
• High School level education
• At least 18 years of age
• Valid Illinois Driver’s License
• The ability to acquire a LEADS less Than Full Access Certification
Mental and Physical Ability:
• Duties involve a substantial amount of driving.
• Applicant must have ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions.
• Ability to physically carry objects from the roadway and stand for directing traffic.
• Good vision is required, either uncorrected or corrected through the use of lenses.
• Good hearing is required, either uncorrected or corrected through the use of a hearing aid.
• Some of these physical requirements may be accommodated for an individual with disabilities requiring and requesting such accommodation.
• Must pass in-depth background and drug screen.
This classification specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
Please submit a completed application and resume by close of business July 6, 2021 to:
Darien Police Department
Attention: Rosemary Gonzalez
1710 Plainfield Rd. Darien, IL 60561
Fax: (630) 971-4326
The City of Darien is an Equal Opportunity Employer.